Grease Monkey Grinderfest

Grease Monkey Grinderfest
Amateur Biker Build Off

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Irishjon - Zero Style

So this is my entry for Grinderfest. This one has been on the go for a lot longer than 6 months. I started reading about the 60's and 70's style Harleys coming out of Japan since I was living in Sydney in 2000. Then I started to read about Shinya Kimura and his Zero Engineering style and desparately wanted to own a bike like that. Of course I couldn't afford to buy one so I decided to build my own. I have been trying ever since but never got close to Shinya's standard. The man is a icon.
Anyway, I have an S&S Evo motor that I started building 15 years ago. As I had no money I decided to build it part by part. I started off with a brand new Delcron crank case and began the long process of collecting parts while I moved round the world for work. The motor was eventually finished about 3 years ago but is yet to be started.
When I was back in England in 2004 for work I picked up a V-Twin 48 replica frame that was going to be the start of the Zero Bike. When I came back to NZ I found a rebuilt Shovelhead motor on Trademe and the Evo motor (still in a pile of parts) got sidelined again. A short time later I bought a cheap frame from the States via the internet. Turned out to be a grat frame with perfect welds so the project started again.
 To get a rolling chassis I threw on the original wide glide front end from my old softail. That is going to be replaced by another old Harley springer I bought from Pete (Milkbar Cowboy). I am building a 16 inch wheel to go with that from parts I have lying round the shed.
While I was commuting back and forwards to Melbourne last year I picked up a ribbed rear fender from a little Brit Bikeshop in Elizanbeth Street. It was built for an 18 inch wheel so I had to reshape it with blocks of wod and a big hammer. After a couple of attempts I have got it fairly straight and made a rough fender strut and number plate bracket. I had a couple of beaten old indicators from my Panhead. I replaced the orange glass with red and they will serve as individual brake and tail lights.

 More pictures in the next update. Loads of work to do and more pictures in thye next update.
Irish

1 comment: