Grease Monkey Grinderfest

Grease Monkey Grinderfest
Amateur Biker Build Off

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dave's Maxi - Update

Since I have finished all the American Chopper episodes I have on my PVR and
there are a few weeks before My Kitchen Rules NZ kicks off, it must be time
for an update on my bike.

A fair bit has happened since my last update, a large part of which was
shopping.  I realise that the point of the comp. is not to buy parts, so to
that end I have avoided blingy show off parts (like I really have a choice
with a moped).

My shopping list included:

   - Wheels from a Peugeot moped, they remind me of Skyway BMX rims that I
   always wanted as a kid.  They're not the colour I want  but that's
   solvable.  Sadly these didn't fit my frame (or the forks mentioned below) so
   a bunch of spacers and an adapter for the brake stop have had to be
   machined.
   - Forks from a Suzuki K10.  These are brand new OEM and probably the best
   $28 I have spent, oddly the seller says he has 1000's of these, God only
   knows why...  But never-the-less so much better than the undampened factory
   units.  They turned out to be reasonably easy to fit to the frame, just
   requiring a spacer to move a new Puch race up 10mm and keep it centred by
   locating on the outside.  Aside from that all the other Puch hardware fits
   nicely.
   - A 'new' engine.  Probably the most exciting part of this update,  its a
   vintage moped unit.  But this time around its a 2 speed part (because
   variators are for pussies and web designers).  A new cylinder, piston and
   crank have been fitted bringing the capacity up to 85 "mother fucking" CC's
   with the addition of a set of reeds this should offer significantly more
   performance than the factory part, and fitted up with only a tiny trim to
   the orginal pressed steel frame.  Currently I am fitting up a CDI with a 10w
   lighting coil, meaning converting to LED lighting is also required.

There are a few other inconsequential bits and pieces, but not much else
worth mentioning.  This weekends job will be making up cables for brakes,
clutch and throttle.

I am looking forward to the show itself.  There are some awesome bikes being
created.  I hope I can have a spot beside "Marel's Special"  as I can see a
lot of synergies and similarities between our 2 projects.  I mean what other
two bikes arn't going to be foot shifted (sorry that's all I could come up
with).

Time for the pics...





No comments:

Post a Comment